Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Speedy Gonzales Savoury Rice

You remember him don't you? Speedy Gonzales - the fastest mouse in all of Mexico? Well, I'm him. I mean, I'm fast like him. In the kitchen. My husband says so. Take it up with him if you don't agree that I'm fast...because I am!

I've been finding lately that I'm always in a hurray and don't have enough time to make a time-consuming meal so this week for lunch I made this rice dish. And I'm telling you, it was so good! Savory from the onion, sweet from the currants and crunchy from the cashews. Need I say more?


The total number of ingredients you will need are minimal. I didn't even refer to a recipe and I certainly did not measure anything. I just started adding things to the plain rice and shazaam, perfect Middle Eastern-style rice.

Having pre-cooked rice helps speed up the preparation time otherwise you will need to add another 15 minutes to the cooking time, unless you have a rice cooker. I had my rice stored in the refrigerator from the previous day which cut down on prep time significantly.

Here's what you will need:
About a cup or two of plain cooked rice (depending on how many people you plan to feed), a handful of cashews, a smaller handful of currants, 3 stalks of spring onions, some olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.

There's no sequence to this meal. Just dump everything in the pan at once. Saute ingredients in the frying pan until well combined and piping hot. Serve immediately. Garnish with avocado if desired.

My lunch was ready in 10 minutes.

30-minute meals? Bah! Rachel Ray has nothing on me.

3 comments:

  1. mmm, looks good! i often do something similar with leftover rice. it's so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So does that mean we should start calling you Gonzo instead of Bijoux??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. kickpleat: yes, I've seen you make similar dishes out of leftover rice. Having cooked rice leftover from a previous meal is actually a good thing!

    Laurie: haha! Isn't Gonzo from the Muppet Show? Feel free to call me whatever you like, I'm flexible :)

    ReplyDelete